Friday, July 25, 2014

Multigrain seed no-knead bread

 
 
More questions from a five-year old.
 
Son: "Mommy, what does your saliva taste like?"
 
Me: "...".
 
After some thought:
 
Me: "I'm not sure, pretty neutral. I guess like yours".
 
"So does everybody's saliva taste the same?"
 
"Yes, sweetie. I think so". I wasn't about to tell him I had made my small contribution to research on that in my day.
 
What I do know for sure, however, is that  not all breads taste the same. Definitely not.
 

 


I've posted recipes for no-knead bread before. A wholewheat recipe and a wholewheat oatmeal recipe, but this is my favorite to date. So I had to let you know about it.
 
I followed a general recipe from this website (which only slightly differs from my usual recipe in quantities and rising time) but using my own ingredients. I really liked the mix of flour and grains I used but I am sure that the extra proofing time was key for the lovely crumb.

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup oat flour
1 cup 6-grain rolled cereal
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 1/2 cups luke warm water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
 
In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and yeast. Add the water and stir until your dough looks shaggy.
Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature (I put it in my oven) for up to 24 hours (the recipe says between 8-18 but I left it for almost 24 hours).
Preheat your oven to 450°F/225°C.
Turn the dough (which will have risen considerably and look bubbly) onto a well floured surface and shape into a ball, making sure you dust flour on your hands beforehand. Cover again with plastic wrap.
Thouroughly heat a Dutch oven/Le Creuset in the oven for about 30 minutes and then proceed to put the dough in.
Bake covered for thirty minutes and then another 15 minutes uncovered so the crust turns a nice golden brown. To be sure it is ready, tap it: it should sound hollow.

14 comments:

  1. I love no-knead bread, Fiona, but have only made it with white flour. I have been bervouse to try different things! But you are giving me the courage to branch out. I know I have oat flour in the cupboard, so I may try this tomorrow for our anniversary! ~ David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy very belated anniversary! Sorry, but I was travelling when I read your comment and only got around to writing today. Hope you had a wonderful day.

      Delete
  2. The questions you get from kids! They can give you brain-drain for sure. I love how this is a no-knead bread. It looks terrific xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also...I tried to follow you in instagram but it says your profile is private.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shouldn't be private, checked it. Let me know if you still have problems.

      Delete
  4. Kids will make you think! I wonder what the line of thinking was that led to that question...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be fascinated by his saliva these days: where it comes from, where it goes, how it moves (a part I don't particularly care for)...

      Delete
  5. Le domande dei bimbi sono spiazzanti e uniche ...adorabili!
    Prima o poi lo proveró questo no-knead bread! La versione multi semini me gusta proprio :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devo dire che è stata una rivelazione anche per me: ancora più buono di quanto mi aspettassi e zero fatica.

      Delete
  6. Have to try it: love the combination of flours and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous bread!! Gorgeous! And no knead? I will so be trying this but a couple questions: do you oil or grease the Le Creuset pot? And what size? The large round dutch oven? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not grease the pot and I use the large oval one.

      Delete
  8. How funny! Kids can be the best comedians. The bread looks nice and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL what a hilarious question! I don't know how I would answer that at all. But as you say, not all breads taste the same and this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.